Last Australian port of call for many circumnavigators before sailing into the Indian Ocean, Darwin has all facilities to replenish, repair or prepare your yacht for the next offshore navigations.
This page provides information to help the sailor to prepare his trip.
It also gives some ideas to enjoy your stay in Darwin, and maybe transform a technical "pit stop" in an unforgettable stopover.
From the Darwin Sailing Club in Fannie Bay, access to the best part of the Northern Territory.
Around the Club
You get out of the club on the main street (East Point Road):
- On your left hand side (distance from the club), climb the hill, follow the main road:
- Good breakfast at the Cool Spot (200m).
- behind the Cool Spot, the best Aussie Pies at the Bakery (250m).Butcher. ATM. Little supermarket.
- keep going along the main road, BP petrol station (400m) from the club, with Australian Gas Bottles service.
- Turn left before the Cool Spot and walk along the cyclepath to reach Alexander Lake for a swim (1.5km)
- In front of the Club:
- On your right hand side:
- Hotel Capricornia at 100m
- Darwin CBD at 3km. Supermarkets In Smith Street and Mitchell Street.
Repair your boat
- Electronics supply and repairs, shipchandler: The Yacht Shop
- Sailmaker, rigging, liferaft servicing, RIB repairs, shipchandler: Nauticals Supplies
- Outboard repairs, careening, painting, antifouling, keelboat storage: Spot On Marine
- Marine diesel mechanic, on-site repairs, travelift, at Cullen Bay marina, shipchandler: Darwin Shipstores
- Diesel Injector & Pump reconditioning: Cattledog Contracting at Coconut Grove.
- Aluminium repairs: Customs Works at Winnellie.
- Aluminium supplier: Capral Aluminium, at Winnellie.
- Fibreglass, composite repairs: Moonsoon Boatbuilders at Winnellie.
- General Hardware: Bunnings, Bagot Road.
Port Authorities and Marinas
VHF Channel 10 (Call Sign "Darwin Harbour")
Lock Master +61 419 421 363 / VHF CH11 (call sign “Cullen Bay Lock Master”)
- Frances Bay Marina (Fishing vessels):
Lock Master: +61 401 117 062 / VHF CH 10 (Call Sign "Darwin Harbour")
Lock Master: +61 407 075 077 / VHF CH8 (call sign “Tipperary Lockmaster”)
Lock master +61 418 910 888 / VHF CH68 (call sign “Bay View Lockmaster”)
What to do in Darwin?
Taxi in Darwin: 131008, +61 8 8981 3777
Hire a car, a boat, travel by plane or train: